View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 02:42 AM   #2
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

SKILMATIC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_girl_87
I have an 87 Supra (non-turbo) with 207K miles. I would like to have the engine rebuilt or do it myself if i can. Has anyone had any experience with that? If i have it done somewhere, how much does it generally cost? Is it easy to do yourself? I also wanna put a turbo charger on it and some other stuff, but wanna rebuild the engine first (don't wanna crack the engine block). Any advice?
Wel in my experience in these things and other people may have other opinions. If you are going to turbo a mg motor the 5mg's are actually a stronger motor because its got a smaller stroke than a 7mg does. Also the 5mg head is more reliable due to the fewer valves per cylinder which means less moving mass which means less chance of something to snap. Its also cheaper to due a forged motor build due to the less moving mass.

Now the flipside to that, the 7mg will produce more power due to the longer stroke and the 24 valve head. The engine management will be a little easier due to the ecu already prepared for a turbo application. Its also more expensive to do a forged motor build due to more moving mass.

I would get forged pistons, clevite main and rod 77 bearings, either stainless steel valves or titanium. Port an polish the head. And get good tuning. Tuning is everything in this sport.
SKILMATIC is offline   Reply With Quote