View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 01:56 AM   #1
djalkyd
3" Exhaust

djalkyd is on a distinguished road
Default more over heating issues

i have done a lot of research in this forum due to the overheating problems these cars have.
i just bought a 87 turbo 2 days ago. the guy i got it from was the 2nd owner, the first owner was an old dude.
the 2nd owner had the head gasket replaced and upper end of the motor rebuilt (head and block decked and machined to make sure everything fit right).
he drove it for more than 6 months and blew out the lower radiator hose so he parked it.

i purchased it knowing the lower hose was blown.

here is where i am stumped.

i replaced the lower hose and i also replaced the thermostat just to make sure. i ran the car for about 15 minutes and noticed that the upper radiator hose is not getting any water as if the thermostat is not opening when it gets hot.

i also notice that there is a line from the housing where the lower radiator hose goes to, the line that cools the turbo seems to be leaking when the temp gets pretty high. steam comes from that area but i cant truely tell if it is the turbo cooling line.

i am wondering 2 things:

1) maybe its the water pump not pumping and preasure is backing up causing the steam to come out of the turbo cooling line because the upper hose is not getting any water through it when the thermostat is opening.

2) since the head gasket was replaced (i saw the paperwork from it) could the head gasket actually have been put on backwards and block coolant passages?

i know on mustangs you can accidently put them on backwards and cause this problem.

there is no water in the oil or oil in the coolant so the head gasket is safe. the car has great compression and runs very well with the exception of the coolant problem. i am trying to catch everything to save the head gasket.

thanks for any help.
djalkyd is offline   Reply With Quote