View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 02:51 PM   #34
theWeezL
12psi boost

theWeezL is on a distinguished road

I thought of one other thing you might want to incorporate. it would take a little engineering but you should use a rheostat to vary the motor so you can generate boost at different openings of the throttle. This would increase your drivability immensly.

my suggestion for doing that is to look straight down at the top of your throttle cable where it connects to hard linkage just before your throttle body. See how it is a pulling motion converted to rotational force? It would be very easy to adapt in a potentiometer at that point and feed the signal back to your electric motor. in a sence you could make that potentiometer mount variable, so with the twist of a dial you could raise or lower your boost at will.

One other concern I had was does the motor your thinking of using have a freewheel ability? If no voltage is being applied to it can air be drawn through it? if not you will need to build into your system a one way bypass valve. Something like a diaphram that will allow air to be drawn through it when there is no air being supplied by your motor, and will close down when the motor starts to insure your "boost" isnt being leaked off through your intake.

an AFM is sort of like this, but I was trying to think of something more elegant but cant come up with any ideas right off the top. Basically all you need is a spring loaded door that when closed will seal off the system but when suction is applied allows air to flow freely. Something from a climate control system maybe?

Eagles may soar, but weezl's never get sucked into jet engines!

theWeezL is offline   Reply With Quote