View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 02:18 AM   #9
SideWinderGX
3" Exhaust

SideWinderGX is on a distinguished road

eesh, what blasphemy im witnessing in this thread! god, hold on, i think my heart just fell out of my chest, let me find it...

yeah, bad joke, oh well. the R33 skylines are the ONLY legal skyline GTRs that may be imported into the united states (thats '95-'97). motorex is now closed down, because they only 'sacrificed' like two GTRs, that just happened to be R33s. they then just generally applied the crash statistics to ALL GTRs, and it took a while for the govt to find out that only R33s had any crash stats to back up their importation...so motorex was closed down, its a pain to import any R33s now because you need to fill out a ton of paperwork, yadda yadda yadda.

ive also heard rumors, and forgotten half of the info about this too...about the owner of motorex being held up, having a car and money stolen from him, then going after the guy or his friend or something...and ending up in jail. i believe that happened after motorex was being investigated anyways, so either way it was the end.

you can still import R33 skylines, its just a pain in the butt. theres also some gimmicks such as taking apart the car, having it shipped separately (engine, tranny, body, whatever else) then piecing it back together and registering it as an R33. or a 300zx, or whatever you want. or you could bring them in as showcars, but cant drive them over like 150 miles in a year or something.

the RB26DETT engine is comparable to the 2JZ in terms of strength and potential. a 3" exhaust all the way back will have similiar horsepower gains on the 2JZ and the RB...it responds wonderfully to upgrades, it loves boost, and honestly i havent heard of any weak spots in the engine. for 7MGTEs, its the headgasket, 2JZs its the front main oil seal i believe? ive just heard that recently, it came as a surprise to me.....and the technology in the car is amazing. attesa-ets and super-hicas really help it to handle well.

well anyways, id pass on the rx7...its a great car but not much tuning potential compared to the others. the MKIV TT would probably be my choice...its newer, parts are more readily available, and its a strong car. The r32 is illegal in the states without some shenanigans, its hard to order parts for them, and if you go someplace to buy tires the skyline isnt in their list of cars. so id go with the supra :-P

1987 brownish Toyota Supra Turbo, automatic 7MGTE engine with ~100k miles on it.
SideWinderGX is offline   Reply With Quote