View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #19
ianstaley
Stock

ianstaley is on a distinguished road

Hi guy's this is from the UK, I bought my targa toped MK3 In Germany TAX free, and I still have it here in England, I once had the idea to lighten the roof, over here it was made of thin steel, in the UK the targa top wasn't sold other than a persoonal import vehicle. I had had the car for a year when I went to work for Toyota in Holland as a freelancer for a while, I got into some heavy talks with Supra specalits engineers there at the time over weight reduction. There answer was that the removable roof constituted about 60% of the strength of the car, which is why the don't recomend exceeding 100 MPH unless you have strut bars, front and rear. As an alternative they did sugest that the roof coul be cut and fitted with a sunfoof, this they said (I didn't do it so basicly dont know if it was true or not) that the sun roof aftermarket would shave a few pounds off the roof but because of the way they were fitted then it would stiffen the roof too even if the glass was removed? Ian

Last edited by ianstaley; 08-10-2010 at 11:27 PM.
ianstaley is offline   Reply With Quote