View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
rjSupra
3" Exhaust

rjSupra is on a distinguished road
Default excellent aid, still mystery leak persists

Bill UK:

Thank you again! Excellent visual. I'll use this as a reference for future repairs as well.
I spent 4 hrs yesterday over and under the car thoroughly.
This leak is almost impossible to locate. I had to even top up with distilled water, and intentional heat the car to make it spill more coolant to help. Which required a jump to even run it (my batt charged for 2.5 days at trickle charge and does not have enough juice to start the car).

So, the Oil Cooler Lines are merely catching the drips from above it. That's the fact now. There almost no clearance above it to see anything from any angle.

But (perhaps separately) I have determined that my alternator is not a problem, the battery is bad.
My water pump is not leaking at all and probably fine . The source of the leak is well above the oil cooler lines, and it seems to be right about where the "Toyota 19300-42010 Cam Position Sensors - 7MGTE" is or just the underside area of it (like a cm or two or at it's actual bottom). So now I am thinking it could be the gasket in the thermostat?? That's right next to it and could potentially be leaking coolant right? I will replace this today, the T stat and gasket just in case. Maybe it will allow me to see the area better. What else could be leaking up so high in the engine off to the left front (as looking at the motor standing in the front of the car? - or front passenger side of motor in other words).
There are what looks to be evaporated drip spots on the aluminum / metal exhaust manifold heat shield - high above the lines oil cooler lines at bottom of motor, dripping down higher up several lines / cables / hoses (tracing the leak like crumbs in an overgrown forest path). Does this make sense? I mean, the potential leak spot and hypothesis, not the fable allegory?

I can't believe how much time this has taken to find one stupid little leak. I will replace the T Stat, and then fill up fluids with plenty extra and drive the damn car out of there today on the hwy gently, with the heat on max heat inside the car - and maybe my roof off or wearing shorts come to think of it...)

Thanks for any help you can provide!