View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 02:08 AM   #13
rjSupra
3" Exhaust

rjSupra is on a distinguished road
Default thanks for helping all, still not a happy ending yet.

Argh. She blew her top again twice tonight. I thought I had it 'managed' to a 'small' leak. Boy was I wrong.
Lots and lots of coolant loss, I was done after 15 miles. I actually went over the red on my temp gauge because there was nowhere to pull over on this hwy. Finally did get it pulled over, let it cool 90 minutes, had to get a jump (batt still dead), and then drove it another 12 miles before it started getting near the red and I pulled the plug for the night in a small city street.
Now my current suspect is the water pump. I am going to replace the water pump, the belt and the thermostat and gasket tomorrow first thing and then drive her out with 4 gallons of extra distilled water and coolant on standby, to try to get the rest of the way north.
My plan had been to try to limp it quietly home at 50 mph up the highway 40 miles to my parents house where I've got nice floor jacks, full tools etc etc... That plan - fail.
I can only hope that it's just the water pump. It was steaming right behind it, and coolant was all below it and I saw a stream coming down just below it as I was idling to cool her down after pulling over.
I will update more tomorrow. I hope this saga ends on a better note quickly. I had been contemplating a 'best offer' sale on her in the car I was so frustrated and I have only really run her a week. I suck.