View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 04:20 AM   #14
rjSupra
3" Exhaust

rjSupra is on a distinguished road
Default this is driving me crazy. or not driving me, stranding me. Coolant leak invisible

My car is not working. I put in a brand new Water Pump today along with a new thermostat, which I cut the toggle off and enlarged the hole by drilling it as suggested here (the drill bit). I put in a new alt drive belt, and the A/C belt (Would have done the P/S but I guess you have to be an elf or underneath the car - and did I mention that the car was marooned in a strange city overnight?).
The stupid invisible leak is back. It never left.
Check this data:
After I replace all this stuff above, I burp the car with the radiator cap off, heat on high for about 55 minutes. (flat - no hill, can't roll it etc...)
Everything is fine, nice usual temp 33% up or so. With the new thermo with the drill hole to replace the older thermo totally stock, instead of my heat coming on strong within a few minutes, it takes about 20 minutes at idle, or that was when I started to gas the car to about 1500 rpm to speed up the burping. A fair amount of bubbles came up for about 40 minutes of it. Finally capped it off and headed back to home very gingerly.
Drove fine, really well, nice temp for 20 miles on back roads about 40-50 mph. I felt a little more confident, so I took it on the highway and got to 55mph and a little over 60mph for a few miles. I exited, made a hard long left sweeper a bit fast, and something sounded and felt wrong or bad, but can't say exactly what. Within 20 sec or so, the temp gauge is up 1/2 way. Uh oh, I've seen this film before. It went up rapidly up to that, and within 1 mile or less I was all the way into the red zone trying to find spot #3 to abandon the car without it getting towed.
Can't spot the leak no matter how I crane my neck, shine my light from any angle. It seems to be centered or rather slightly passenger side and right under the CPS and water pump. But the water pump and thermo are not leaking. And the old thermo and water pump looked to be functioning ok as it happens. This really frustrating me, and naturally making my car undriveable. Is there some stupid little hose I can't see all up in that area? The large rad hoses look normal / dry as does all the radiators - as usual.
Aidez- moi
The last 3 over heats have all happened after highway speed. Time does not exactly seem to be a factor, but then again I'd be willing to bet I could drive it stone cold on the hwy and get more than a few miles before it would erupt again. (?) Maybe time or I don't know... This car was running over 1 + hr, more like 1.5 hours before it overheated and sprayed everywhere again. I can't figure out this problem...