View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 01:46 AM   #41
rjSupra
3" Exhaust

rjSupra is on a distinguished road
Default some good news an real progress

to quote the WeezL from here: "Oh, it's on".

I got that damn bolt drilled out good. I was able to tear out 1/2 mm thick chunks after I enlarged it almost to the edge and full depth on the bolt hole. It was a tad off true and perfect perpendicular, but it worked out pretty well in the end, and I was able to tap it with a 12-20 english tap (since I hadn't the M6 1.5mm tap equivalent). It's a bit larger but with the correct bolt it should hold ok. It's a little loosey on the outer half of the enlarged hole, but I think with locktite or something and a stack of spacer washers it should hold ok, certainly better than running with no bolt.

Pretty psyched that I can resume this repair tomorrow. I am just waiting to go pick up a replacement turbo small line by the lower pipe inlet to be safe in the future while everything's out.

I think anyone who has this problem, take out the water housing (yeah an the CPS too since it's almost impossible to pull the 3rd bolt of that water jacket housing without the CPS removed - could be done with some slick tools and little hands I reckon but that is not my set up). Drill the broken bolt on a bench wood vise if you can, start really small and keep enlarging. When it's large enough - or in my case a little too large and loose to hold the original bolt - tap it with a tap and die kit, use the 12-20 tap, oil it frequently and keep removing it to clean out the shavings, re-oil an go gently, sometimes in and out slowly never turning really harder than a jar lid or you could break the tap off or maybe re-strip the new soft threads (?) Then note somewhere that you have a non std bolt size in which spot for you or any future owner that has to re-do the thermo down the line.