Thread: head bolt idea
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 05:18 AM   #14
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

What the f#$% are you people talking about?!? I think we've got a couple conversations going on here or something.

FIRST, if the HG is blown there's no point in replacing the bolts one at a time... even if it weren't a HORRIBLE idea.... you still have to replace the damned HG and check for warpage.

SECOND, I wouldn't run a helicoil in 90% of the blocks on the market, not for the head bolt part of the equation.... there's just not enough meat in the surrounding material for me to consider it reliable after I drill the hole 3 to 4mm wider for the insert.

THIRD, Green, from what you're saying I assume you're actually talking about the manifold fastener holes (particularly the exhaust side). Two passes here is fine, on the head bolts or studs I recommend 3 or more passes at small increments but not so small that striction hits.

FOURTH, 72ft lbs for head bolts and 95 for studs... IIRC.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote