Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
BT7
Stock

BT7 is on a distinguished road

I guess I could try those a little larger,
Lin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1523.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	2649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1524.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	2650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1525.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	2651   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1526.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	2652  
BT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #12
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I'll save the pictures and ask around. I don't know what would differentiate one year from the next myself... well, I can think of a couple things but as I have no point of reference it would all be speculation.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #13
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that was quick....

There were no significant exterior changes that were documented. There WERE internal revisions made a couple times, but you need to dissect the transmission and start taking measurements.

One thing that I didn't think of is that you can pull the driver gear that the speedometer cable attaches to and read the two numbers off the nylon gear itself (gives dimensions and tooth count). This will indicate if it is from a vehicle prior to or sold after 1989. Pre89's used a 32 tooth driven gear.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Can you post a photo looking into the bell housing... and the dimensions of the bell housing. Looking at the placement of the starter extrusion and bolt holes, I'm thinking that transmission may actually be from a 1JZ equipped vehicle.

See below, 1JZ is on the left, 7M is on the right (both are for the R154, naturally):

Name:	bellhousings_7mvs1jz_1.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	2653

Name:	bellhousings_7mvs1jz_3.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	2654

Tip Jar --->
Old 12-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #15
BT7
Stock

Default Registration number, what year?

Okay, here are two bell housing (internal) images. Note no access openings in the side of the casing. Sorry the fork didn't come with it.

Also note the offset in the bottom of the bell housing about 4" long.

Do these additional clues help?

Lin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1531.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	2655   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1534.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	2656  
Old 12-13-2009, 11:44 PM   #16
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I just spoke to one friend and we're in agreement... that doesn't look like any Toyota bellhousing either of us has ever seen. That's not saying much coming from me, but coming from Jeff it's almost a guarantee.

The closest thing I've been able to find is a bellhousing for a Dodge Dakota 2.5L which is used by some to install R154s and similar transmissions into certain other cars... but, the starter is on the opposite side. It has the same venting at the upper rear and the same extra large weep at the bottom.

http://www.3800pro.com/forum/rwd-380...html#post40010

I'm of the impression that that R154 had already been swapped into something else before it got to you... as such, the only way you're going to place an age or vehicle of origin to it is to take it apart and thoroughly inspect the internals.

You might try contacting a company called Marlin Crawler... they do a LOT of work on R154s and other R series transmissions and may be able to help you further with this. http://www.marlincrawler.com/

If you find anything else out please let me know, I'm very curious.

Tip Jar --->
Old 12-14-2009, 01:43 AM   #17
BT7
Stock

Default registration number, what year

CRE,
You are amazing! Thanks so much. You are helping to unravel a mystery. I bought this rebuilt Supra transmission from a fellow who was going to match it up with a 2.4L turbo 4 cylinder engine from a PT Cruiser. He dropped the project he was working on to do something else so I bought the tranny and the motor to put in an Austin Healey. I was amazed to find that the bell housing lined up exactly with the rear of the 2.4 - no transition required.

I am going to check with the fellow who sold me the engine and tranny, but I don't think he knew that the bell housing had been switched out before he got it.

In exploring the SRT-4 Forum previously, some had suggested that a Jeep Liberty bell housing would fit the R-154 and the 2.4L. It seems that perhaps someone has taken care of the mating issue for me and I didn't realize it. It does look a lot like the Dakota bell housing you show in the photo. Now I will need to figure out the clutch components and I will have this issue solved!

I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Lin
Old 12-14-2009, 02:44 AM   #18
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Holy crap!!! I am good!!!

J/k.... Google and persistence... more Google than anything though. Good to know, thanks for the info.

How are you going to mate it to your engine? Are you going to try to find a bell which will require minimal mods or use an adapter plate? Let me know how this turns out.

Tip Jar --->
Old 12-14-2009, 03:28 AM   #19
BT7
Stock

Default registration number, what year?

No, I think you misunderstand. The bell housing I have on my transmission mates perfectly to the Chrysler 2.4L engine that I will use. All I need to do is make a backplate for the block but the holes line up perfectly!

Thanks again. Now, I just need to figure out the clutch components.

Lin
Old 12-14-2009, 03:52 AM   #20
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT7 View Post
I bought the tranny and the motor to put in an Austin Healey.
Sorry, I missed that bit. :P

Tip Jar --->